Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Wednesday Hodgepodge: Fall Edition

Happy Wednesday Everyone!  I'm back to doing Hodgepodge.  Joyce has provided us with some great questions this week.  If you want to play along or just read some really fun blogs, hop on over to Joyce's blog and visit all the Hodgepodge posters! 




1. What's the best and worst thing thing about growing older?


The best part of growing older is knowing that there are some things you will never, ever have to deal with again.  Like going to high school...blech.  Puberty...eewww.  Toilet training toddlers...exhausting.  Raising teenagers...blech and ewww and exhausting plus frustrating!  I think the worst part of growing older is all the changes in your body.  In my head I'm still 30 and I can't figure out how my children got older while I stayed the same age.  But the body is the rude awakening.  It just doesn't move the way it used to and no amount of cajoling works.  Old age is stubborn...that's for sure.

2. Autumn arrives this week in the Northern Hemisphere...what one thing do you love most about the fall season?

Well, I could say cooler weather but in Arizona it doesn't get cool until December so that won't work.  I love Thanksgiving and I feel like it often gets lost in the hubbub of Christmas...since Christmas starts popping up in July now.  I also love fall colors.  Oranges, reds, yellows....they all make me happy.


3. Speaking of fall...pumpkin seems to be flavoring everything these days-are you a fan? What's your favorite pumpkin flavored food or beverage?

At the cost of being banned from Thanksgiving forever, I have to admit that I'm not a huge fan of the flavor.  I don't hate it but one piece of pie at Thanksgiving and I'm good for the year.  I do however love the smell of pumpkin.  Candles, cooking...I love the scent.

4. Since we're on the subject of fall...what's the worst fall you've ever taken?

In October of 2006 I was at the softball field watching my youngest play.  They had a double header in which the two games were played on different fields.  I was walking from one field to the other, stepped in a hole, fell and broke BOTH my ankles.  So, I fell in the fall...nice huh?  I was out of work for 11 weeks...it was not fun, or pretty.  Let's just say you really find out how much someone loves you when you cannot get yourself on and off the toilet.  My husband is a saint!


5. If you could own a prop from any film what would you choose?

I have to pick two because I can't choose between them.  First, I would want William Wallace's (Mel Gibson) kilt from Braveheart.  Second, I really want Benjamin Franklin's colored spectacles from the first National Treasure.  Yes, I AM a history nerd...and proud of it :)

6. What's the most interesting word you've read or learned in the past week?

I love words!  My favorite this week is: conundrum. There are a few definitions in Websters but the one I like the best is: An intricate and difficult problem.  Sometimes, writing my blog is such a conundrum! :)  I just love the way it sounds and the way it rolls off your tongue.  Ok, I'm just a nerd...period.

7. When was the last time you locked yourself out of your house, car, or office? Was it a big deal?
I honestly can't remember the last time.  But I remember the most awful time.  I locked my two toddlers in the car in the middle of the Arizona summer.  I could not convince my daughter to unlock the car after having taught her that touching the locks on the car door was a very bad thing.  This was way before everyone had cell phones and I was stuck in the middle of the grocery store parking lot with no help.  Thankfully, a very nice man happened by with a hanger and got the door unlocked.  It was very scary.


8. Insert your own random thought here.

The fact that there are only 96 days until Christmas completely freaks me out.  Not because I'm behind for Christmas, but because I cannot for the life of me figure out where this year has gone.  I still have vivid memories of taking down the Christmas tree last year so it cannot possibly be almost time to put it up again.

Ok, that's it for another edition of the Hodgepodge.  Thanks for the questions Joyce, they were fun!  Meet me back here Friday for Arizona Almanac.  I've got a bridge I want to tell you about.

3 comments:

  1. Both ankles broken! I can't even imagine! When you fall you really do it. I hope you healed well and have no long term effects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has been a very busy year for us as well. I can hardly believe I had time to work before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much I could comment on here...Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. It's all about family and food without all the pressures and stresses Christmas brings. I know that's not what Christmas is about but it's a job to keep it from becoming so, which is why I love Thanksgiving.

    That fall sounds horrible! So glad you joined the HP today! I'm following along now : )

    ReplyDelete